Friday, February 13, 2009

Out & About (A Little Bit)

I met up with my friend Maritza from high school - turns out we've both been living in Boston for the past couple of years and only recently reconnected! We rendezvoused in Harvard Square, played a bit of catch-up, talked knitting, and visited this Shepard Fairey piece outside of the Tannery. It was nice to see one up close and personal, and check out the workmanship and layers. Also, the brick coming through and the texture......quite stunning, actually.

Maritza kindly gifted to me some yarn, as well! These 2 little lovelies of sock yarn - one skein of Vesper Self Striping Sock Yarn in the "Algae" colorway, the other Sundara Sock in "Ivy". These are wonderfully plush, and the colors are so completely rich and saturated. I've started the great pattern search to find just the right pattern to highlight these yarns. Any ideas?


Earlier this week I had a field trip to the Boston Athenaeum - my 3-month Bookbinding students and I reunited for a tour of the conservation lab. It was lovely! The Athenaeum is in a beautiful building behind the Granary Burial Ground, and the conservation lab overlooks the cemetery.
It was wonderful to go behind the scenes and see what they were working on, what the space was like, how they decided what to work on and what the treatment options were. It was fascinating!

One of my students had recently taken a paper marbling workshop and brought me this stunning piece of paper that she made during that course:

This paper is worked in 2 separate layers, allowing the first to dry completely before setting down the color for the second layer. The pattern for both layers is similar, with only the color varying. Stunning! I don't know what to use it for yet......we'll see what I can come up with.

1 comment:

  1. That paper is gorgeous and can't wait to see what you do with the algae. Hope you guys had a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete