Sunday, February 13, 2011

Some Things, Completed!

I've actually managed to FINISH some things these past couple of weeks. This may or may not be snow related:

Much Heirloom Weaving!

First, this gigantic bundle of handwoven Wensleydale came off the loom. This is handspun Hello Yarn Club Fiber from August 2010 in the "Heirloom" colorway - I spun it into a 2-ply and wove it up on my rigid heddle loom. I currently have one looooong piece of cloth, at about 10 feet x 22 inches (or so). I'll be starting the process all over again in order to get enough cloth to cut up and make a cute swingy jacket. Eventually. Hey, I'm halfway there, right?

Golden Wheat Cardigan

Second, I finished this Golden Wheat cardigan, using handspun made from leftover test bundles when I co-dyed with David at Southern Cross Fibres. Mods? Of course. I knit this on US 7 & 9 needles, made it a little bit longer, and I'll be adding a buttonband backing of grosgrain ribbon this afternoon. This sweater is so comfortable and soft! The yarn is delightful - I had some concerns about the skeins not blending well enough, but I'm pleased as punch with how it looks. The fiber that I started out with had no business plying together into something this awesome.

Winter Warmers - Flocked Mittens

Third, these divine mittens! Okay, I made these a few months ago but they were a test-knit so I couldn't talk about them. BUT HERE THEY ARE NOW. "Flocked Mittens" from Adrian Bizilia, knit in Quince&Co. "Lark" in Split Pea and Glacier. The lining is some brown alpaca that I had hanging around. These are super comfy cozy warm. These have become my go-to shoveling mittens around here.

All of this spinning and weaving and knitting (and teaching!) has been fantastic, and completing things is a good feeling. But I've also got one project looming, this quilt project:

Possibilities

A few weeks ago I made the mistake of fabric shopping with Kelly & Maritza. Kelly had this luscious bundle of solids out, and we each decided to get a half yard of each color to make one big quilt with. So all these rich colors, and white. Those are the only rules. I've been thinking maybe a double wedding ring quilt? Any ideas, suggestions, thoughts on this or OTHER quilts would be great!

2 comments:

  1. Double wedding ring is one of my favorite quilt patterns. I finished one last year that I had started thirty years earlier. Another good pattern is dresden plate if you like applique. The colors are beautiful. Another choice might be trip around the world but I don't think you have enough yardage as the quilt gets larger. I'll be anxious to see what you do with all of this fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cloth you wove is RAVISHING! I can't wait to see what you make from it. (I know you'll have the nerve to cut it, where some people wouldn't :)

    ReplyDelete